Configuring a new Heroku App
This step is only required if you are no longer planning to use the Heroku app that was created when your Knapsack workspace was generated. This is useful if your organization would like full ownership and control over the Heroku application.
Note: you'll need to install the Heroku CLI and authenticate after creating an account.
Creating the new Heroku App
The below guide will provide instructions on how to create a new Heroku app. During this flow you will run a command to generate the new app. The command will return the URL of your new app and the Git URL. You will want to copy these values and retain them for step 2 and 3.
Step 1: Using the Heroku CLI run the following command
Example (replace with name of your application):
heroku create NewAppNameHere --stack heroku-20
This command will create the new Heroku application ("NewAppNameHere") with all the necessary dependencies required to deploy Knapsack.
- If using Heroku teams, you may also specify the team by adding the
- The command will return the correct values to use for configuring deployments
- You will want to copy these values and retain them for step 2 and 3.
Step 2: Collect all necessarily values to configure deployments
The following secrets will be used to configure deployments from within your specific git provider:
HEROKU_EMAIL— The email associated with the Heroku account
HEROKU_API_KEY— The API Key associated with the Heroku account (found in profile settings)
HEROKU_GIT_URL— The value provided from the command in step 1 above (this can also be located on the app dashboard within Heroku's admin interface)
Step 3: Notify Knapsack of your new deployment URL
- We need to know the new Heroku App URL (provided by the command run in step 1 above) so we can update our database records to validate your new workspace location.
- If you haven't already started the conversation with us, reach out at email@example.com to start the migration process OR update your existing support ticket.
Step 4: Proceed onto configuring deployments and Cloud Authoring
Next, let's navigate over to our centralized hub for deployment recommendations and Cloud Authoring configurations.